On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 07:48:25AM -0500, James Spinti wrote:
> <snip>
> |Also, you'll have to keep it from using a shadow map as all the other
> |platforms don't support shadow passwords.
> <snip>
>
> I thought AIX did.  I am looking at a 4.3.3 and 3.? machine.  Both have ! in
> the passwd files and have the hash in /etc/security/passwd, with the
> security subdirectory restricted to the admin group.  Or does that not count
> as shadowed, since it is still in a file called passwd?

It's entirely possible that AIX does do shadow.  AIX 5L will almost
definitely.  I've only used AIX in heterogeneous environments with NIS
where we've had to use the lowest common denominator - an OS with no shadow
support (e.g. Irix).

You're right, though.  Looking on an AIX box, the local passwd file has a !
in the passwd field.  But, when using AIX with NIS, can it use a shadow
map?  The format of /etc/security/passwd is nothing at all like a shadow
file in Linux.

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu