Please allow a digression.

In 1974 I was an armed guard at NW Bell, downtown St. Paul. I was warned
that if a terrorist struck, that was where. Seven floors of the building
were relay switches giving off sparks when people dialed their phones. In
the early eighties I joined the effort to promote an extended fiber optic
communications grid that allowed "micro-computers" to communicate. Prof.
Otto Schmitt (inventor of digital electronics at the U of M) added that
such a communications grid would be immune from EMPs (electro-magnetic
pulses) from nuclear weapons. Our modern communications grid is now largely
very secure (except for M$ software) and efficient.

Over the last decade (at least) I have promoted fuel cells and local fuels
(methanol) with the same purpose. Our energy infrastructure is an open
target. God help us if these monsters should hit a nuclear facility. Our
political leadership is as protective of the status quo as it was of
"super-computers" in the early eighties and is more a problem than the
technology itself.

Several fuel cell companies plan big boosts in manufacturing. Most
publicity is focused on fuel cell cars. But the big, near term fuels cell
market is stationary fuel cells for large buildings. Manufacturing plans
are in the hundreds of thousands of fuel cells per year. Every large fuel
cell will need a computer controller, as these are complex chemical and
electric devices.

Linux is an outstanding starting point for a fuel cell controller's
software.  I wish I could claim to be an expert at everything, or anything.
I've gotten some outstanding leads from this (TCLUG) group. This winter I
should have a better playground (laboratory) to try fine tune some
controller software. Your ideas are appreciated.