On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 03:04:02PM -0500, Shawn Fertch wrote:
> Anyone familiar enough with NIS on this?
>
> At work we have varying *nix platforms:
>
> Solaris (2.4, 2.6, 8)
> HP-UX to 11
> AIX 4.3.2 and 4.3.3 some older versions well I believe
> Tru64 4.0D, 4.0F, 5.1
> Linux
> SCO
> A few others I'm certain of
>
> Will NIS work cross platfoms, as well as being able to exclude certain
> servers to which the person shouldn't have access to?  Someone was looking
> into it months ago, and said that it would not work because of the various
> *nix platforms we run.

I've used NIS for many years, but not on all the platforms that you've
mentioned.  I know for sure that the NIS will work on a network with Linux,
Solaris, Irix, AIX, HP-UX, Tru64.  That's covers you for everything but
SCO.  I've never used SCO.

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu