Hey there,

Is anyone here doing intensive USB stuff, such as unplugging and
replugging in a hole lot?

I've got a couple of machines sitting on a Belkin USB KVM. It acts as a
USB hub - you plug all your USB devices into it (in my case, keyboard and
mouse) and it switches them between the machines connected. One of the
machines is Win2K, the other's my Linux box. The kernel is currently
2.4.9, this has been going on since like 2.4.5 (when I got the hub I
think).

What happens is this. Seemingly at random, occasionally when you switch
back to Linux it will not pick up the 'new' USB devices. /var/log/messages
shows this:

Sep 17 22:29:39 dragon kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1,
assigned device number 15
Sep 17 22:29:42 dragon kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 17 22:29:42 dragon kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1,
assigned device number 16
Sep 17 22:29:45 dragon kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout

...and so on. You can switch back and forth as much as you like, plug
devices directly into the machine without the KVM in the middle, and
nothing.

At this point I'm stuck with a machine that's still up but has no HID.
This often happens when I'm in mid download I'd rather not interrupt, or
when I'm in the middle of writing Email (pine saves it usually though) or
looking at a website I haven't bookmarked, etc.

Does anyone have any idea about this, how to prevent and/or restore when
it happnes? USB is compiled into the kernel so I can't rmmod and
re-modprobe, though that's one idea...

-Yaron