> Does anyone know if it is possible to redirect output from a tar command to
> a tape device file on another system via an NFS mount? My understanding is
> that there are some issues with the redirection of sequential write
> devices.
	yes, there are. NFS doesn't export devices (although the technical
details escape me at the moment). if you want to export a device over the
network; you need to look into the Network Block Device... but that's not
going to be the answer to your problems, AFAIK.

	tar has some limited network capability in and of itself; as I
remember. I don't remember the details, and seem to remember that I never
got it to work; but mostly I was trying to do network restores with
tomsrtbt, and having no success at it.

	netcat may be of some use here.

Carl Soderstrom
--