On Friday 14 September 2001 14:48, Carl wrote:
> > If there were a distribution that allowed you to set up an automatic
> > login (with user privileges)
>
> 	scary as it may be to us paranoid-for-a-living folks; I think RH (or
> maybe it was Corel?) had something called 'autologin'. you specified a
> username at install time; and the system would automatically log in at boot
> time, as that user.

I think it was Corel...but I'm one of those paranoid types :)  When I choose
the root password, people groan at work :)

> > with decent fonts
>
> 	what's wrong with the fonts? some web pages have pretty heinous font
> layouts; but I always attributed that to sucky design tools and sucky
> html rendering engines. so what if a few letters are a bit jaggy around the
> edges? they're still readable.

I am running Mandrake 8.0, and the fonts in Konqueror and Opera were so bad
that I couldn't read most pages.  I had to change them to adobe-helvetica and
abi-source Times New Roman just to make them useable.

> > and Opera (personal favorite),
> > KMail, KOffice and various plugins installed, I would push Linux much
> > harder to my non-computer literate friends :(
>
> 	they don't commonly install KOffice? I know RH installs KMail along
> with the KDE option.

I am referring more to a CD-ROM that has a default install that you could
give to people and say, "Here, run this and call me with any problems"  and
not spend the next 5 hours on the phone walking them through program
selection, etc.  Primarily for people with one computer, a decent modem (read
not winmodem) or broadband connection.  It would by default set up a firewall
and install the mentioned items, without all the server stuff.

If there is a kickstart script or something like that, please let me know, or
point me in the direction of a how-to, etc.  Is that what those Business Card
Distros are doing?

James Spinti
jspinti at mn.rr.com