To answer your question of why ME....plain and simple, that is
MS's consumer game platform. A couple years ago the rumour
was that MS was discontinuing win98 and going all NT/2000
completely, even for home users and games. Eventually they
changed their minds and created 98se and now ME because
NT or 2000 just doesnt work well for the avid gamer. NT is a
horrible game platform (yes, many games will work but many
will not), while ME will still run all games including many legacy
games. Case in point, I have a laptop for work that i had win98
on for a long time and short of putting a gun to my head my
company made me upgrade to their standard w2k image. The
IBM Crappad laptop no longer has 3D video support and I
can use it to play the games i used to play before on it (and
I might add its a LOT slower). Yes, its an IBM issue with drivers
but it illusrates that fact that good game-video drivers for w2k
is not a priority of video card mfgrs right now. Efficient use
of the OS for games sometimes requires free access to low-
level functions of the OS and w2k "guards" those functions
for security reasons--which we dont need at home.

I still use win98se at home because I'm an avid gamer (and for
my regular computer uses). My installation of 98se is extremely
stable and performs very well. I dont care that it takes 2-3
minutes to boot because under normal use i only need to
reboot it once every week or longer. I've always gone with the
idea "dont install tons of junk on your computer". Im definately
not a MS fan, but if their os is used correctly it does work to
an acceptable level. I for one will not upgrade until programs
*I* need to use will no longer work on 98se. If it aint broke, dont
fix it! If the OS still works, dont upgrade it!