On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 10:49:13AM -0500, James Spinti wrote:

> |And you instantly knew what to do the first time you saw the infamous
> |"Start" button the first time ever you installed windows and booted it
> |up? I was pretty helpless (as far as I can remember).
> |
> Of course, isn't it intuitive that to shutdown a machine you push start? :)
>
> Being the typical lazy middle class kids that they are, they wanted it
> handed to them... :(  They both acknowledge the superiority of Linux, they
> are sick of crashes, etc.  But, it is still easier for them to reboot than
> to take the time to learn something new...as I said, they won't even
> willingly use the NT machine...

Make it so that it automatically gets into kde|sawfish|yourwmhere and put
mozilla|netscape|konqueror in their .xinitrc? It can't be much easier.

It only took my wife one question to forever remember how she starts a
browser on my system. Actually I can see on my system that when she
reboots her own Win98 she always uses my computer to check her email
while her machine is booting.

Okay, it only took a little "neglect" to make her use Linux for 6 months
last year until she figured out how to get online from windows.
I told her how to ssh into our gateway to get ppp running and that just
worked for her. I ruined it myself by going online from her computer (in
Win98) one day and she asked me how I did that! ;-) and she just stayed
in windows of shear convenience.

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer>