On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 09:01:04AM -0500, Mark Browne wrote:
> OK, X-windows is a resource pig.
> What else am I going to do to run a GUI on Linux?
> (see comment on running out of the box above)

X is not that much of a resource hog.  I run X on several 486s
and 586s without problems (my main box at home is a 200 Mhz
pentium with 256 MB RAM).  As others have said, with RAM so cheap
you might want to consider adding some ( I just a 128 MB stick
free after rebate), but 64 MB of RAM is fine, as long as you're
willing to make compromises - that's as much or more than I have
on a couple of boxes.

> I don't see a lot of difference using Gnome.
> I will not recommend FWM to newbies, even if faster.
> They will not feel that it is something better.
> I am not going to switch people over to a text based system, no mater how
> well it runs SAMBA or Apache.

No need to go text based by a long shot.  For window managers
take a look a Window Maker. Pretty, functionall, and easy to
configure, without being bloated.  I use it everywhere (586's and
on Sparc Solaris) except on 486's. KDE and Gnome are over-kill
for most people anyway.

> Despite the bashing and crashing - for a lot of the folks I support- windows
> does just install and work.
> The default apps and setting are pretty reasonable.
> Windows does a fair job of tying all the little bits together for a nice
> responsive system.
> Sure they cheat - they don't have to do a modular system - they don't have
> to.

Well, newer versions of Windows and Office won't run worth
anything on the hardware that you mentioned either.  Similarly,
on Linux Mozilla is probably too much of a resource hog, but
Netscape 4.7 should be OK. Star Office will run OK, but hog a lot
of memory. Others can give better info on the more modular office
apps, I don't really use them except to read MS attachments that
people send me.

As for Windows default installs, they don't have nearly as much
available as a default Linux install.  Text editors like Wordpad
and Textedit and no spreadsheet?  Now if you are calling a
default install the stuff than some manufactures bundle ( MS Home
Office or whatever) then they are comparable.

> Does it really come down to admitting that windows is really better for
> Joe-six-pack consumer computers?
> I hope not.

I don't think so, but to run Linux you do have to be willing to
learn things that are different than Windows. I think that
distros like Progeny and Mandrake do a decent job of making
it work for newbies.  Installation can be a drag, but how many
people ever install (or even upgrade) Windows or MacOS on their
computers?

--
Jim Crumley                  |
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |