Sorry about that.
I even re-read before posting and missed the size. I have a 200mb swap on my
test machine - not 20.

The reason I am trying to learn Linux is to see if I want to risk my GURU
reputation to recommend it at work and for my friends.
I do NOT want to spend my life running around cobbling up other peoples
systems.
I want a distro I can recommend right out of the box - that will do what
"average" folks do.
(surfing, e-mail, word processing)

I gave the example of surfing the web because it is such a common task.
Other areas of  perceived slow speed are slow boot-ups and time to spawn new
X window apps.

These are apples to apples kind of comparisons.
Windows does a windowing system and I am using the tools installed by
default.
I expect my test distribution to work the same way.
Having to cherry pick and tune apps does not cut it.

OK, X-windows is a resource pig.
What else am I going to do to run a GUI on Linux?
(see comment on running out of the box above)

I don't see a lot of difference using Gnome.
I will not recommend FWM to newbies, even if faster.
They will not feel that it is something better.
I am not going to switch people over to a text based system, no mater how
well it runs SAMBA or Apache.

Despite the bashing and crashing - for a lot of the folks I support- windows
does just install and work.
The default apps and setting are pretty reasonable.
Windows does a fair job of tying all the little bits together for a nice
responsive system.
Sure they cheat - they don't have to do a modular system - they don't have
to.

Does it really come down to admitting that windows is really better for
Joe-six-pack consumer computers?
I hope not.

Mark Browne