On Fri, 2001-09-14 at 00:01, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> Having just fought through a very similar situation earlier today,
> I'm going to assume that the error is a premature end of headers.
>
> If this is the case, then congratulations:  You've just run afoul of
> suexec.  That damned bastard of a module is a compile-time option,
> not controlled by *.conf, and, despite it being dependent on enough
> things being set up just so that Linux Planet says you should only
> use it if absolutely necessary, certain distros (like Debian) have
> decided to turn it on in their stock binaries.
>
> You can turn suexec off by moving it to someplace where apache can't
> find it.  e.g., on my Debian box, I did:
>
> cd /usr/lib/apache
> mv suexec suexec-EVIL
> apachectl graceful
>
> and my CGIs under user directories magically started working.  Of
> course, next time apt finds a new version of apache, I'll have to do
> this again...
>
> (And, yes, the docs say that suexec is supposed to allow execution of
> things which are either under the compile-time-defined DocumentRoot
> or accessed via a ~user path, but the Debianized version only seems
> to accept things under the DocumentRoot.  Oops.)
>
> Oh, and suexec records its problems in suexec.log since all of them
> show up as premature end of headers in error.log.

It appears that you may be correct on this. I am running RedHat 6.2, and I found a
suexec_log in /var/log/httpd/. This log is showing the following msg:

[2001-09-13 23:00:17]: emerg: cannot get docroot information (/home/dave)
[2001-09-13 23:00:21]: info: (target/actual) uid: (dave/dave) gid: (dave/dave) cmd: test.cgi

But in my case, suexec lives in /usr/sbin/. Is there a way to keep Apache from using it? I
will do some looking myself. Thanks.

Dave