On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 06:11:11AM +0200, Thomas Eibner wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 10:34:45PM -0500, Dave Sherman wrote:
> > See for yourself at http://sildara.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/test.cgi
> > My user directory is http://sildara.dyndns.org/~dave/cgi-bin/test.cgi
>
> Last one gives an Internal server error, what does the error log say?

Having just fought through a very similar situation earlier today,
I'm going to assume that the error is a premature end of headers.

If this is the case, then congratulations:  You've just run afoul of
suexec.  That damned bastard of a module is a compile-time option,
not controlled by *.conf, and, despite it being dependent on enough
things being set up just so that Linux Planet says you should only
use it if absolutely necessary, certain distros (like Debian) have
decided to turn it on in their stock binaries.

You can turn suexec off by moving it to someplace where apache can't
find it.  e.g., on my Debian box, I did:

cd /usr/lib/apache
mv suexec suexec-EVIL
apachectl graceful

and my CGIs under user directories magically started working.  Of
course, next time apt finds a new version of apache, I'll have to do
this again...

(And, yes, the docs say that suexec is supposed to allow execution of
things which are either under the compile-time-defined DocumentRoot
or accessed via a ~user path, but the Debianized version only seems
to accept things under the DocumentRoot.  Oops.)

Oh, and suexec records its problems in suexec.log since all of them
show up as premature end of headers in error.log.

--
With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox