>Is there some sort of speed tuning I should do?
>I am testing Linux primarily with a 133 MHz P1 with 64 mb with 20mb of swap.
>Don't tell me to get a faster box - I have one.
>WIndows 98 runs OK with this hardware.

X is extremely resource intensive, and this is most of your problem. Also,
your swap should be twice the size of your ram if your using 2.4.x kernels
(that's straight from Rik Van Riel himslef) due to the VM subsystem.

>I have tried several other distributions with much the same results.
>I fear that the claims of Linux speed in relation to Windoze may be just
>hype.

No, you just need some horsepower to see it. The multi-threaded IP stack in
the new 2.4 kernels in and of itself makes it faster on the net. But the
applications you're using are tuned to a slightly faster machine with
plenty of ram.

I'm surprised X runs at all on that machine. X is a beast.