Well, it looks like you are only basing your speed test on how fast each
system opens a web page.  Konqueror and Netscapes HTML rendering engines are
slow compared to IE's.  I hate MS products, but I have to say that IE is a
fairly good browser, and has an extremely fast rendering engine.  You might
try using Galeon for linux.  I've heard that it's much faster than anything
else you can get for linux, and works extrememly well, though I've never
tried it.

As for windows vs. linux in everyday tasks... It's hard to say.  It all
depends on what you are doing.  I for one don't really see any huge
performance gains by using Linux, but the amount of what I can do is
staggering compared to what I can do with windows.  Plus, it is much more
stable (I use Win2k and XP also).  Linux seems to be much better at being a
server, as windows was originally designed to be a workstation, and had
server functionality basically hacked into it, poorly (win2k is better, but
it's still sketchy).

I like linux because it's stable, completely customizable, and most of all,
free.  About the only thing I use Windows for is Terminal Service to admin
other win2k boxes remotely, and MS Outlook because I need to us the same
groupware the rest of the company uses.  Otherwise, I'm at home plugging
away on a bash shell or using KDE.

BTW, the latest version of KDE and Koffice rock.  I would actually venture
to say that Konqueror is now nearly as fast at rendering as IE.  Koffice is
also very impressive.  You may want to upgrade to Mandrake 8.1 when it's
ready (before the end of Sep. supposedly).  8.0 had/has some very annoying
bugs which affect it's performance, stability, and usability.

Jay