Shawn, like some others have said: break the problem
set into smaller more managable units.  Get PPP working
on the machine with the modem, then get your routing to
other machines working.

PPP can be troublesome, too many options amongst too many
components(ppp, chat, modem-inits, authentification, ...).
General strategy is to get modem connection up first by hand
using minicom, observe type of authentification
(can you enter username,password? or does binary ppp string
pop out?) then invoke pppd with various guesses at options
(pppd-command line, etc/ppp/options, etc/ppp/options.ttysX).
Turn on pppd debug logging options: debug, kdebug 7.
Look at /var/log/messsages for clues.
Once link is established, try pinging the ip number of your
DNS server, or the remote modems ip address.

cheers,

Karl.