|> I would suggest you keep the encryption turned on and hack the
|registry of
|> the older machine(s) to allow encryption.  The instructions are
|referenced
|> in smb.conf under encryption (I think it is security.txt).
|
|I read that file. And there are some pro's and con's to
|encryption. Maybe I missread the file, but it said cleartext does
|not pass over the network. I did not fully understand that (and
|did not re-reread it). It also made the arguement that if you are
|using ftp or telnet or the like you are already using clear text.
|I first need functionality then security. I know this is not the
|best position to take, but this lan is behind a firewall with
|mainly trusted users.

One of the main reasons I say use encrypted is because it is easier on the
sysadmin :)  You only have to change the older Win3.X/Win95 version 1
machines.  Otherwise you have to remember to change every new
machine/rebuild.  If you have more than 5 machines, that gets old,
especially if you have to rebuild them very often--we have a policy of
wiping the drive every time a new employee gets a machine, easier than
trying to clean them up :)