What version of M$?  Are you using it as the PDC?

If it is NT/Win2K you need to have it join the domain.  The 2.2 versions can
have that happen automagically, but my experience is that it is still best
to add it from the command line on the *nix box (as root):
	smbpasswd -a -m "machine_name"

Otherwise it might be encrypted passwords, as Jay said.  Check your smb.conf
for that line and uncomment it.  Then restart samba.  Or, if it is the
original version of Win95, it won't do encrypted passwords without a change
to the registry (I forget what it is) and that might be the problem.

Or run testparm and redirect it to a file, then vi it.  That will give you
all of your settings (more than you knew existed).  There is also some good
documentation on the samba.org site.  Otherwise, you could post your
smb.conf file to the list if none of the above works :)

As for the dying ???  I have had samba running on a 486 for over 2 years now
at home (since Redhat 5.2), and the only time it dies is when the power goes
out and when the harddrive puked on me :(  It has been the PDC for most of
that time, authenticating Win9X and NT boxes.  None of them have ever killed
it.

Thanks,

James Spinti
jspinti at dartdist.com