Nate Straz wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 03:30:45PM -0500, Austad, Jay wrote:
> > Umm... Hide your linux box and tell the guy you forgot your WINDOWS laptop
> > at work.  Someone I work with ordered a cable modem, and the installer
> > wouldn't hook up the line because he said they don't support linux.
>
> I ordered from AT&T and told them that I would do the install myself.
> The guy didn't have a problem with that and just dropped the box off.
> He said I was the first person to have the box (packaging) openned
> before they left.
>
> What I would recommend: Request a self install.  Then, if you have the
> time, ask the installer if they would like to learn how to do a Linux
> install.  Most of them probably won't be interestd, but it shouldn't
> hurt to offer.
>
> Nate

The guy who installed my cable modem and line was a linux evangelist.
He went on a several minute rant about how bad Microsoft stuff was.
When I told him I was going to be hooking the modem to a cable router
he seemed annoyed that I wasn't using my linux system as the router.
I plugged the modem into my linux box to make him happy, and then
plugged it in the router 'cause that made me happy, then we
talked some more about linux and he went home.

It was great...

(I signed up through Minnesota RoadRunner, whoever that is - AT&T?)