Hi Clay,

I sent you a message earlier but I'll post most of that here for everyone's
benefit!

<clip>
The meeting was great.  Ben Kochie was there and helped with the room and we
are very thankful for that.  We had a technical problem; I forgot the PS2
mouse for my computer which had the database server and web server
configured on it.  We checked around and the best we could do was get a USB
mouse installed that someone had brought with them, but thankfully we had
that.  It was a small challenge getting that machine to work with that mouse
and I was also having a display problem with the smaller-than-usual monitor
I brought.  Mike Hicks was very helpful and we almost got the thing working
at the beginning of the meeting but not quite everything was working right.
However, Bob came to the meeting with Amy and saved us by getting the system
back on track before those demos, so we were able to show them.  We ended up
going until almost 3:00!!  I think we got done at 2:55 by the clock in the
back of the room.  I kept mentioning that people could head out anytime they
needed to but I think most people stuck around until we were done and we got
a nice round of applause afterward.  There are so many things we could have
shown with Kylix and we really just scratched the surface.  We also handed
out some evaluation CDs and T-Shirts which no one turned away!  Kylix is an
excellent tool for writing business apps on <Linux> and I hope a few people
find the time to try it out.
</clip>

Thank You everyone for the chance to show Kylix to TCLUG!  As important as
the tool itself is, we also want people to know that Borland and their
partners (us) are doing everything we can to help businesses realize the
Linux value proposition, and help them adopt the Linux platform.  We are
mainly in the business of writing and helping our customers write business
applications.  Businesses need a lot of other Linux products and services,
and I encourage anyone with ideas about how to integrate their products and
services with our efforts to let me know so we can all be working together.

Kylix stands out as a technology leader for Linux because it is exactly the
type of tool that has helped propel Microsoft to domination of so much of
the business computing world.  The Linux world now has a great chance to
compete strongly in the business market because tools like Kylix are exactly
what Linux has been lacking to do that.  Just as Delphi, C++Builder and
tools like it (some I just won't bother to mention) have worked to drive the
Microsoft business market, so they will work to do the same thing for Linux
because Kylix is the type of software development tool businesses want.
Businesses want Kylix because it eases the building of powerful applications
that manage their business information and makes them more competitive.

Borland has several other tools and technologies for Linux including
JBuilder (Java), Visibroker (CORBA ORB), and AppServer (EJB/J2EE Application
Server).  Interbase runs on many platforms including Linux and is an
excellent Open Source database.  Also Kylix, which is Borland's Object
Pascal tool and is really "Delphi for Linux", will be joined (probably not
until next year) by their C++ language tool for Linux which will really be
"C++Builder for Linux".

-Mark