On or about Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:41:56 -0500
Ben Stallings reportedly said...

> Hi, folks.  What software do you recommend for working with a Handspring

> Visor via Linux?  I don't actually have one yet, but I'd like to start
> getting my data in the right format so I can move my addressbook, etc.
to the
> Visor immediately when I do have it.

You don't need to change the 'format' of any data, you just need to
acquire the Linux softwares for managing a Palm Pilot (or a Handspring in
this case). Basic steps are:

1) Recompile the kernel with support for your USB controller, and support
for the Handspring Visor (under USB > Serial Converters). Symlink
/dev/visor and /dev/pilot -> /dev/ttyUSB1

2) Get and install the pilot-link suite of tools. This software is at
v.0.9.5 right now. The next software depends on this suite of tools and
libraries.

3) Get and install J-Pilot, which is the GUI desktop software that
replaces Palm Desktop under *nix. This software is currently at v0.99

RTFM and you should be in business.. One note: it is necessary to first
press the hotsync button on the Visor cradle before starting the sync or
backup operation from J-pilot (or pilot-link). If you try it in the normal
order, the sync operation will fail. Have fun.

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-