I'm trying to find the list archive to see what the original question was

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but you can get a shell
from telnet. Hit the escape char ^] to get to a telnet> prompt which
allows you to type ! to get a shell. You may just want to strip that stuff
from your telnet client prior to allowing people to access it.

Joshua Jore
Minneapolis Ward 3, precinct 10
  "The irony of this man being imprisoned in the United States and longing
to return to once-Communist Russia so he can regain his right to free
speech is simply staggering." - someone else