I imagine it's very similar to CustomView Report Writer/Runner (which
sadly is also Windows only last time I checked).  I've been looking for
something similar under linux myself and haven't been very successful
either.  What I may end up doing is just setting up a Zope server to
connect to our report database (for an ACD phone system, everything gets
logged to an sql database) and manually create the reports that people
want.  This solution will make initial report setup more work, but it'll
be much easier to distribute the reports, I can just point them to a URL
on our intranet.  I'm still in the "thinking about it" stage though, so if
you find a better solution for report creation I'd love to hear about it.

Jeff