<Long rant on soapbox>

And isn't Redhat starting to do the same thing (charging for products, like
postgresql)? GreatBridge also officially died today, Suse is on life
support, VA no longer sells hardware and is selling software, Loki is all
but gone, don't know anything about Debian, and Mandrake I don't think is in
a "healthy" state either, and probably a dozen or so other "open source"
companies have died quick deaths in the last year(probably more).

There is nothing wrong with the open source model, it's the open source
business model that's flawed. The problem isn't that they are trying to sell
software, it's that they are trying to sell something that can be obtained
for free. "But they are selling support for the software", well so what? you
can get that for free to (this forum is a small example). So if nobody buys
the software or support, what can they sell? The only thing I can think of
is proprietary software. Remember a business exists to make money, which in
a way directly contradicts the open source model doesn't it?

What they need to do is start creating some, and bundle the OS with it (In
addition to giving the OS away)if the want to stay in business. There is so
much opportunity for products in the linux world that do not exist it's
astounding. But then I guess that also begs the question "Will open source
advocates and users buy that software?". Suddenly makes me wonder how Oracle
is selling on Linux, anyone know?

I think another problem is that nobody is aggressively selling linux to
large OEM's, on any level (am I wrong here?). Sure IBM is dumping $1 billion
into it, but even IBM only has a small handful of machines they offer it on.
Dell tried it and dropped it because of lack of interest(their lack of
marketing sure didn't help though). And compare that to M$ spending $1
billion on marketing winXP alone.

I have been using Redhat linux since 5.2, and have store bought every one.
I'm using Ximian Gnome and the beta's of Evolution, and will buy that on CD
when Evo goes gold. I have no problems buying software that I will use and
get my money's worth for (and just to add, I haven't purchased an M$ product
since DOS 6.22, excluding new hardware purchases). Since I don't contribute
code to the open source community, I figure it's my way of supporting it(if
I knew c++ I would be I'm sure). However I think I'm a minority in that.
Everybody I seem to talk to just downloads it and burns it to cd.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a flame, or a bash on open source or linux in
any way. I like linux and what it can do. It's the businesses that are
drowning, and if they could at least bellow out the phrase "Web Services" in
between gulps of water (has any distro company even mentioned the phrase?)
it would be a start. Wouldn't it be something if IBM were to gobble up the 2
or 3 largest distro companies and combine all the best parts and continue to
develop it and give it away, support it across all models, and allow other
OEM's to freely install it on their systems for sale? Just IBM and
HewlettCom-Paqard selling all models with it would nearly end the MS
monopoly(or dent it real good). The irony of IBM doing that to M$ is to
humorous to ignore too.

But that's just my opinion...I could be wrong.
</Long rant on soapbox>
Doug