Yes, it's BSD. I still hang out here because I figure that even if I run
BSD at home, I'm still too fond of Linux (tho the zealotry is a bit much
some times) to leave. And this problem should be OS-agnostic anyway.

I'm not sure about the client but I'm pretty sure port 20 isn't used by
the server. [1] I've never seen the server start listening here and the
source doesn't indicate that it should. In general, if a server is
accomodate active and passive clients then it must be able to accept
connections on any of a set of ports. In my case it's restricted to
49152-49172. I'm just trying to go to the next step where the ports are
closed by default and the server can kick off an external command to open
a given port for an ip for limited time. It *seems* pretty simple and I
just don't understand why I haven't run across it elsewhere.

Joshua Jore
Minneapolis Ward 3, precinct 10
  "The irony of this man being imprisoned in the United States and longing
to return to once-Communist Russia so he can regain his right to free
speech is simply staggering." - someone else

[1]
The protocol specifies that control occurs on port 21 and that via PORT,
LPRT, EPRT, PASV, LPSV, EPSV each machine may request a data connection.
The PORT series is a message to the other machine telling it to connect to
a given IP+port. This is also called 'active' mode. Conversely, PASV asks
the other side to supply an IP+port which is then connected to. There
isn't anything going on here that says that port 20 is what will be passed
in PORT or returned from PASV.