Adam,

On or about Wed, 5 Sep 2001 21:29:37 -0500
Adam Wolkoff reportedly said...

> I'm looking for info on a class, book, person etc that can teach me how
> linux really works--the much ballyhooed command line.

Just a niggling little thought..

The 'command line' isn't really 'Linux' either - it's a shell. The command
line can be BASH, TCSH, SH, KORN, CSH etc etc. Each one has it's own
idiosyncratic ways of dealing with input and output, but each accepts most
of the same commands. The commands themselves, aren't really 'Linux'
either - they are programs that could be from the GNU project, ported from
other *nix flavors, or installed from 3rd party sources.

The 'Linux that is Linux', is really just the kernel. And other than
re-compiling the kernel to change harware support or incorporate security,
the Linux user never really needs to get too close to the kernel. A
programmer might need to, however.

There is a school of thought that says that there is more that is 'Linux'
than just it's kernel.. but I haven't seen a standard definition, so I
won't comment on it.

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-