I would suggest an operating systems book or Advanced Linux Programming
by Stevens.  A good os book is the one by Tannenbaum (sp?) which
arguably is the book that Linus originally got his ideas from.  There is
also a good O'Reilly book on Linux Kernel design.

To truly understand what is going on in Linux I believe that you need a
strong understanding of operating systems and c programming.  Pipes, i/o
redirects, signals, processes, daemons, terminal programming, shells,
ipc, sockets... are the heart of Linux and are taught in a good os class
or book.  The rest of the command line is simply programs that implement
these ideas.

The most important thing is that it takes time and experience.  I have
been running linux since I installed slackware via floppies on my 386
about 5 years ago and I still learn all kinds of new stuff each day.
 You will never find one source for all you answers.

Reading this mailing list is a good start.  You can subscribe to a Linux
magazine such as Linux Journal and read through the how-tos -- I find
myself referencing linuxdoc.org all the time.

The bookstore is also a great place to learn.  I end up taking my
daughter to b&n a couple times a month.  We sit there for hours and read
(or steal information :-) ).

hope this helps,
Marc