If you are using ProFTP- there are a few issues to look at. First, it trys to
do an IDENT lookup on connections. It also will try to do a reverse DNS
lookup, if there is no entry for the IP connecting, it may hang for a while.
You can turn this off by adding these line to your proftpd.conf file:

IdentLookups off
UseReverseDNS off

If you are trying to port forward through a firewall, you need to forward
more than just port 21 if you want to use some ftp clients.  The problem is
port 21 is only the control port, and the file transfer and stuff happens on
other negotiated ports, which are not the same for each session.  ProFTPd
allows you to specify which ports to try and use, and allows it to
"masquerade" as a different IP address (just the advertising part of things)
Add lines like this:

MasqueradeAddress       out.side.ip.address
PassivePorts                    60000 65535

Then forward (in addition to 21) ports 60000-65535 to the server, and all
should be well.