When I FTP to my Linux server (running proftpd) which is outside our
network it takes a long time to connect...some things happen at normal
speed but I keep getting these messages:

227 Entering Passive Mode (209,173,192,110,8,71).

And it seems to hang for a few minutes before.  Sometimes it takes so
long to connect it times out and disconnects me before it finishes
connecting.  I can get to other ftp sites ok (but apparently only
non-Linux ones) and I can get to this server from home just fine.

Any ideas on what I could look into?  Maybe a conflict between the port
that ftp is using and the firewall?  Unfortunately our Net Admin has
very little knowledge of firewalls and neither do I.

Brady