Our VP of engineering and long time geek / hacker sent this to some of the
GFS lists. I thought I'd pass it on to you all.

----- Forwarded message from "Michael J. Declerck" <declerck at sistina.com> -----

From: "Michael J. Declerck" <declerck at sistina.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 15:38:46 -0700
To: gfs-announce at sistina.com, gfs-users at sistina.com,
	gfs-devel at sistina.com
Subject: [gfs-devel] An explanation of the license change for GFS 4.2

This is an attempt to explain why Sistina Software Inc changed its
license on the GFS product.  I hope it dispels some of the confusion
surrounding this change and reassures the community of Sistina's commitment
to supporting open source in a manner that insures the survivability of both
entities.

Sistina Software was founded by Matt O'Keefe (Founder and CTO) while he was
a professor at the University of Minnesota.  The genesis for the formation
of Sistina was driven by the following:

o GFS was a software project that had demonstrated applicability to a wide
  range of applications/problems outside the area it was originally written
  to address - Parallel Ocean simulation/modeling.

o The GFS team was tightly integrated group that believed in the product
  and the benefits that it could bring to the open source and commercial
  communities.

o Funding for GFS in the academic environment dwindled to near zero due
  to budgetary constraints in its primary funding agencies.

These factors all came together to bring about the founding of Sistina in
January 2000.

At that point, Sistina's business model was to provide storage management
tools and expertise to the open source community through two products:

o GFS
o LVM

and to offer management tools and support contracts for those products to
generate revenue for the business.  This revenue would be utilized to
continue development of GFS and LVM, as well as, grow Sistina.

For the entire first year Sistina focused on bringing GFS out of the academic
environment and providing it with the features and robustness necessary to
survive in enterprise environments.  During that period we aggressively
pursued support contracts for GFS or partners that wanted to work with
either embedding or productizing GFS.  We were able to secure some
contracts during that period.  They were small and did not provide
enough strategic linkage with others to support the level of development
that Sistina was pursuing.

At the same time we were actively recruiting talent to work with Heinz
Mauelshagen (original author Linux LVM) to accelerate the development of
LVM.  Sistina was able to recruit two additional people to work with Heinz
on the LVM.   This team was also able to secure some small contracts of
limited scope.

In January of 2001 Sistina released the first "production" release of GFS
and tagged it with a 4.0 version number.  This was built on the three prior
releases from the work at the University of Minnesota and brought GFS to a
point where Sistina could actively pursue having its technology embedded in
devices or IT infrastructures.  The LVM team was also getting ready to
release LVM 1.0 when it was adopted as part of the base kernel in the Linux
2.4 release.  Everything was looking quite good from our standpoint.  We
had reasonable products with a wealth of interest in them.

We kept working on both products after January while actively pursuing support
contracts for them and developing GUI based tools to support them.  From
January to June we talked to a number of people who were either currently
using our products, embedding our products, or looking at using our products
about supporting Sistina in some manner.  Although there were potential
opportunities none of them came fruition.  It seemed that we were just doing
too good a job of supporting our product.  People didn't seem to see any value
in paying for good support and ensuring the viability of the products when
they were already receiving good support for free and lots of others seemed
to be interested in them.

It was at this point that we began noticing that people were actively
reselling either GFS or LVM without providing anything back to Sistina.  It
seemed unfair that others where generating revenue off of our products but
were unwilling to provide some of that revenue back to us, thereby ensuring
Sistina's and our products longevity and viability.

After a fairly lengthy period of internal debate we decided that it was
becoming necessary for us to change the license of GFS to eliminate people
from taking advantage of Sistina's work without giving something back to
the entity that developed the code.  We did not make this decision lightly.
In the end, the adoption of the Sistina Public License (SPL) was viewed as
the logical path forward.

Our intent with the license is to insure that entities that distribute,
embed, or productize GFS to generate revenue have to pay a fee to Sistina
for their use of GFS.  If an entity is not generating revenue from GFS
they can continue to use it under the SPL.  Examples of this would be
individuals for personal use, universities do research or commercial entities
that were using GFS internally but not providing a paying service on top of
it.  In our minds this allowed the average user to keep using it for free.

We also distribute GFS in source form so that people can still modify it for
their own use and fix bugs.  It also allows valuable peer view which we
welcome at any time.  We did put a restriction on modification redistribution
though.  The major reasoning behind this is that we are trying to establish
GFS as a standard and didn't want there to be incompatible code forks with
regards to things like on-disk meta-data formats.  If it was a GFS filesystem
it should be usable by any GFS implementation.  We are definitely open to
accepting patches and advancements to GFS but we do require that the
copyright be signed over to Sistina.  This is necessary so that we can
maintain the copyright on the code.  In cases where people are making
significant contributions to the code Sistina is willing to provide monetary
compensation for their copyright.  In this manner people can contribute to
the code without being taken advantage of and Sistina can insure that GFS
is maintainable and supportable by its staff.

I hope this addresses some of the questions and concerns that have arisen
over that last couple of days and apologize for the delayed response.  Many
of us were at Linux World Expo till yesterday evening and this is the first
opportunity we have had to respond.

Please believe me when I say that Sistina Software is committed to the
open source community and working with it.  I would appreciate feedback
on the SPL license and suggestions on how we can make it better for both
Sistina and the open source community as a whole.

---
Michael Declerck, declerck at sistina.com   +1.510.823.7991

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Ben Lutgens
Sistina Software Inc.

What's the difference between root and God ?
God doesn't think that he is root.