On 01 Sep 2001 20:22:33 -0500, Brian S Carter-Stiglitz wrote:
> Anyone tried Win4Lin?  Any general opinions on it? How much does it slow
> down the average windoze prgram?  any shouts for its competitors?

I occasionally use Win4Lin, for MS Office or a couple of Windows-only
apps that I need for work. As far as I can tell, it doesn't slow down
programs *at all*. In fact, it seems to run faster than "native" Windows
on the same system. I suspect this is because Linux has a better/faster
filesystem, so hard drive I/O is more efficient. I've got enough RAM
that swapping isn't an issue, but programs just launch quicker, which is
of course disk-intensive.

Win4Lin creates a virtual machine for Windows to run on: all hardware is
really just a set of software-hooks into the Linux kernel. But because
of this, some Windows functionality is not available: no DirectX (who
cares?), no Network Neighborhood (but standard TCP/IP networking works
fine -- web, email, ftp, etc.). Some of this may have changed with
Win4Lin version 3.0, but I only have version 2.02. Win4Lin also only
supports Windows 9x, but not NT/2000/XP.

The general opinions I have read are that VMWare has better support for
all of Windows' functionality, while Win4Lin is easier on system
resources. I ran Win4Lin on 64 MB just fine for some time -- 24 MB were
dedicated to Windows when it was running, 40 MB were left for Linux to
use. No problems at all, although perhaps my swapping increased. VMWare
won't even run on less than 128 MB, and even then it's a dog. Of course,
with RAM being so cheap right now (I just bought a 256 MB SDRAM strip
for $27 at Tran Micro -- 1/10 of the price I paid two years ago), that's
not as much of an issue.

Hope this helps,
Dave