> So... go make your BIOS happy. When you ran lilo
> against that lilo.conf it
> probably worked just fine. You did check for errors
> too right? It came
> back and said "linux *" right? That's what it should
> have said. If it

Yes, when running LILO it returns:
Added Linux*
I don't remember if the asterisk was before or after
the 'Linux', but it appeared to work just fine.

When I set up this system, I opted to go with GRUB as
my bootloader since I heard good things about it, and
it appeared to be the new bootloader of choice for Red
Hat. It was only when that failed to work that I
decided to try using LILO since I was more familiar
with that and 7.2 appeared to install both it and
GRUB. I am not trying to use both. I will go with
whichever one I can get to work!

out of the picture. Let me try to clarify things.
Before I installed RH 7.2 I had a two drive system. A
3GB drive was the master drive on the primary IDE
channel and it had NT and its bootloader on it. The
second drive was an 8.4GB drive that was the master
device on the secondary IDE channel and it had Red Hat
7.1 on it with LILO installed at the beginng of the
drive. This disk is now the master on the primary IDE
channel and the 3GB disk is removed and long gone.
Before installing Rh 7.2 I added a new ATA 100
controller and two new drives that are connected to
this card (I chose to mount them as /max1 and /max2).
The BIOS on this card detects and identifies these
drives fine, and the BIOS on the motherboard detects
the 8.4GB drive (/dev/hda) correctly. Everything works
as it should when the system boots. I just cannot boot
from anything but a floppy. After the system boots I
ran fdisk /dev/hda and looked at the partition table.
It looked OK to me. I am not at this problem machine
at the moment, but I believe it was /dev/hda1 that was
flagged with an asterisk to indicate it was a bootable
partition and it is what I was mounting as /boot.

> So just muck with your jumpers and bios. 10 to 1
> that's where your problem is.

I double checked them and they are correct.

> And what the heck kind of fstab is that? That's
> just damn weird is
> what that is. You must be running on of those fancy
> Linuxes that don't
> talk to the hardware like it was hardware or
> something. That just bothers me. But I digress.

Red Hat 7.2.

Still baffled at this point.

Mike Glaser