Ok here's what I know. LILO exists on your hard drive in multiple pieces.
It prints part of it's name 'LILO' as it gets to the next part. It's first
stage bootloader displays the first 'L'. That is what is located in the
MBR. The first stage is a measly 512< byte program. It loads the second
stage which I recall can occupy the rest of the the cylinder on side of
the media so it now has some room. When it is done it displays 'I'. The
second stage bootloader ah.... did something. I forget. I always played in
the realm of the stage one bootloader so I didn't have to go farther.

Anyway, it's just not where it's supposed to be. Since your computer boots
somehow you need to check that your BIOS sees hda on your primary
controller as your master (or single). If you've got a second drive and
it's on the primary, go make sure it's set as slave otherwise go fix it
appropriately for the secondary controller.

I think there is high likelyhood that your BIOS is confused about what
devices exist where so the LILO bootloader isn't working. I never worked
with Grub so I can't speak about it. I'll make a further assumption that
you are booting from external media which *then* sees your hardware as you
wanted it to. At that point Linux has stopped paying attention to your
BIOS.

So... go make your BIOS happy. When you ran lilo against that lilo.conf it
probably worked just fine. You did check for errors too right? It came
back and said "linux *" right? That's what it should have said. If it
didn't then maybe something is even weirder than I expected and lilo is
also confused.

So just muck with your jumpers and bios. 10 to 1 that's where your problem
is. And what the heck kind of fstab is that? That's just damn weird is
what that is. You must be running on of those fancy Linuxes that don't
talk to the hardware like it was hardware or something. That just bothers
me. But I digress.

Joshua Jore
Minneapolis Ward 3, precinct 10