This sounds like the same problem I had.  Since it is kernel v2.4.5 is
it Slackware 8.0?  If so, I did several things and I'm not sure what
fixed it, but here's what I'd try if I were doing it again.

The module(s?) you want are ip_tables and iptable_filter.  They are
both located in /lib/modules/2.4.5/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter.  Make
sure they are loaded.

If that doesn't work, upgrade to iptables 1.2.4 (Slack comes with
1.2.3).  You'll probably want to remove the iptables package first.

If that doesn't work recompile the kernel with the appropriate
configuration and install that kernel.

Hope that helps.  I would appreciate hearing what fixed it for you.

Eric