I'm getting my machine to slowly work with it's ppp connection via
isdn.  It dials, connects and I can get out to the internet and browse
on the gateway machine only.  I'm running the 2.4.5 kernel, with
iptables.  However what I'm running into is when I try to follow the
basic rules from either the HOW-TO or from last month's Linux Journal, I
keep getting errors telling me that iptables isn't compiled into my
kernel or that it needs to be upgraded.  Something about not finding the
filters table if I recall...

What happened was when I reloaded my machine, I picked both the ipchains
and iptables packages.  Somehow I think that neither got compiled into
the kernel.  I can modprobe it, and then when doing an lsmod|grep
ip_tables it shows up.  for the time being, I also put the modprobe
ip_tables in my rc.local file to get it to work.  I still get the error
message that it can't find the filters table.  Any ideas on what more I
can do to get this to work?

Also, I'm trying to write/get a script that will keep a persistent
connection up on my ppp.  I've read the PPP how-to, but the samples they
give are if you are not running pap/chap.  What would be the best way to
go about scripting what I need?  I'm assuming that I will need to place
it into cron, have it ping every 5 minutes or so, but beyond that I
don't know.  I'm really quite horrid at scripting, if anyone can help me
out I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Shawn