Ah, for me...
Its the blinky lights!
PDP 8s and 11s,  Altair and IMSAI, BIT-483.
After learning to punch in the OP codes in binary and *knowing* the
locations of every jump destination you gained a certain knowledge of
what happening in your programs.
These machines were SLOW - you could get out and walk faster!
You could actually see the profiling as the code looped - you could see
the addresses where the machine was spending most of it's time.
I know profilers and such are all well and good - but it's not the same.
With modern machines speeds and multi-megabyte code space it would
not be the same thing at all - even if you had lights.
I am one of the folks that got paper cuts pulling paper tape through a
PROKO reader. Yep, I got programs on paper tape as a distro media.
The sure and certain knowledge that it would all go away
when you turned off the power. Disk - What disk?
The audio cassette tape backup was a godsend.

Them were the days.

To all the pups that bemoan the loss of the CLI and such.
It's not supposed to be hard or obscure - that was just growing pains.
I DO embrace advances in hardware, interfaces and tools.
It just keeps getting better - every day is like Christmas!

The frightful lack of efficiency on the other hand....
I used to do very useful work on a 4 MHz machine with 16K memory.
Sigh...

Mark Browne