Steve Horejsi <shorejsi at skypoint.com> writes:

> On Monday 29 October 2001 03:48 pm, James wrote:
> > I remember checking out from the CS dept a tty with an acoustic coupler at
> > 110 baud (must have been about 1973/74).  We used to have to be careful
> > when we put it in the cradle, otherwise the background noise would confuse
> > it.  I was supposed to be programming in Fortran on the PDP-11, but I found
> > it much more fun to play Star Trek.  The tty weighed a lot, but the box of
> > paper you carried definitely kept the whole thing from being considered
> > portable :)
> >
> ... snip ...
>
>  Ahh.. The sound of a KSR33 Teletype machine-gunning text onto paper at
> 100cps (ALL UPPER CASE OF COURSE...) The smell of freshly-punched oiled paper
> tape scrolling out onto the floor.
>
>  That's at least two sensory outputs missing from modern computing  =:o)

That *amazingly* long, stiff, key travel, with the mechanical
interlock preventing more than one key going down at once.  I remember
typing in assembler source code (PDP-8) where (because of expansion of
tabs to spaces) I'd sometimes be half a page ahead of the echo.

And now I don't remember the difference between "ASR33" and "KSR33".
I remember the ones I used (which should include at least one Steve
used, too) as ASR, but that could just be wrong.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  Ghugle: the Fannish Ghod of Queries
        Book log: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/Ouroboros/booknotes/