Lorry wrote:

> There is just too much wrong with my computer at this point, and I've
> decided to burn the few files I really need onto a CD, clear everything
> and start over.  Right now I am dual-booting WinME and Slackware 7.1,
> and I'm redoing with Win95 and debian whatever-version.  I know it
> matters which I install first but I'm new to this sort of thing.  So
> here are my questions.
>
> 1) Is this too much for me to handle alone?  I *really* want to do this
> ASAP.  Without going into too many details, suffice to say I am not
> happy at all with the way it is now, and every passing day makes me
> unhappier.  So if I can do this today I will do it today.

No, it isn't too much but do not use Debian.  It is not for beginners.

Make it easy on yourself and start with Mandrake or Redhat.
Mandrake is the easiest I've seen.

Also, skip the multiple partition thing.
Make one big root partition for Linux. Spelled "/" not "root".
Very easy in Mandrake.
But don't forget your swap.

You can worry about optimal partitioning  later in life when you're a Linux
Goddess.
And then you can tackle Debian.

If you can afford it, get a second drive and use that for Linux and the other
for Windows.
No need for extended partitions and the like.
And you can blow one away without worrying about the other.

Don't give up, it'll pay off soon enough.

Paul