I've got my modem to where it will dial and connect.  I have a block of
static IP's assigned from the ISP.  When I connect however, I only get
the broadcast address, not the IP address I'm assiging to it.

options.demand file:

# General configuration options for PPPD:
lock
defaultroute
noipdefault
modem
/dev/ttyS0
230400
crtscts
# Uncomment the line below for more verbose error reporting:
#debug
# If you have a default route already, pppd may require the other side
# to authenticate itself, which most ISPs will not do.  To work around this,
# uncomment the line below.  Note that this may have negative side effects
# on system security if you allow PPP dialins.  See the docs in
/usr/doc/ppp*
# for more information.
#noauth
passive
asyncmap 0
name "username"
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
ethernet.address:static.isp.address
demand
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/pppscript"

I don't get any error messages, and I can ping my isp's dns by number
but not by name.  I have both dns servers IP's in my resolv.conf as well
as search isp.domain.net.

This machine is going to be my gateway/firewall machine.  Anyone have
any ideas on this?