On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 05:39:29PM -0500, David Smeeton wrote:
> I'm looking around for options in terms of buying a notebook without
> paying the Microsoft tax.  I've run into the following difficulties:
> 	* VA Linux got out of the hardware business
> 	* Penguin Computing doesn't have any notebooks
> 	* TuxTops dropped its business to QLITech (which now has only two
> ~$1650 models)
> 	* Dell says they can't do it
> 	* Gateway (Ha!) nevermind
> 	* IBM supposedly has two models with Caldera preinstalled, but their
> online sales site doesn't match the information on their linux
> pages, and I'm not sure I want to pay that much
> 	* Compaq doesn't sell any laptops with Linux
>
> Anyway, you get the idea.  I've even looked at Apples, but they're
> simply too expensive.

For around $1000, the best deal is an iBook from Apple. The only drawback
I see are the only mouse button and the white keyboard. Other than that
they are good value at $1300.

>                       Any ideas where I can get a laptop without
> Windows?  Ideally Linux would be preinstalled, but that's not a
> requirement.  Mainly I'm looking for cheap (the closer to the $1000
> mark, the better) and good battery life (I'll spring for the heavy
> duty batteries if they're available)...and naturally hardware support
> for Linux is a good thing.
>
> Am I overlooking any obvious options?  Are there any local shops that
> can do this?  Am I doomed to pay MS for the privilege of having a
> notebook?

On the other hand you might get a refund directly from M$:
   http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/toshiba.html
but don't base you decision on that alone. A cheap notebook is more
likely to give you headaches and it's far harder to fix than an
ordinary desktop.

Choose wisely,
florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4