I'm looking around for options in terms of buying a notebook without
paying the Microsoft tax.  I've run into the following difficulties:
	* VA Linux got out of the hardware business
	* Penguin Computing doesn't have any notebooks
	* TuxTops dropped its business to QLITech (which now has only two
~$1650 models)
	* Dell says they can't do it
	* Gateway (Ha!) nevermind
	* IBM supposedly has two models with Caldera preinstalled, but their
online sales site doesn't match the information on their linux
pages, and I'm not sure I want to pay that much
	* Compaq doesn't sell any laptops with Linux

Anyway, you get the idea.  I've even looked at Apples, but they're
simply too expensive.  Any ideas where I can get a laptop without
Windows?  Ideally Linux would be preinstalled, but that's not a
requirement.  Mainly I'm looking for cheap (the closer to the $1000
mark, the better) and good battery life (I'll spring for the heavy
duty batteries if they're available)...and naturally hardware support
for Linux is a good thing.

Am I overlooking any obvious options?  Are there any local shops that
can do this?  Am I doomed to pay MS for the privilege of having a
notebook?

Thanks for your input,

David