> >	in theory, you should be able to mount a shared /usr partition via
> >NFS; saving disk space and admin hassles. as such, you need to be able to
> >boot without it, in case of emergency.
>
> I would strongly reccommend against this. NFS is spoofable, so anything which
> contains OS type material should be local. Yes, it's feasible, but don't do it.

well, yes. :)
I know very well that NFS is a security problem, and shouldn't be used on
systems exposed to the Internet. for some things, which are on a 'mostly
trusted' network, it's really handy tho. :)

I mean to try out AFS and Intermezzo one of these days; and see how well
they replace NFS. AFS uses Kerberos for authentication; I don't know
anythong about Intermezzo.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer