>> That would make more sense then.  I thought for sure that years ago I read
>> /usr shoud be on / but my memory does seem to fail me.  I never understood
>> why and onetime I installed without it and everything worked fine.
>	in theory, you should be able to mount a shared /usr partition via
>NFS; saving disk space and admin hassles. as such, you need to be able to
>boot without it, in case of emergency.

I would strongly reccommend against this. NFS is spoofable, so anything which
contains OS type material should be local. Yes, it's feasible, but don't do it.
I believe this came up a while ago, as well as an explanation of the rationale
for the existence of a /usr partition. Should be in the archives.

Personally, I prefer having just the one partition. With extra space needed for
/tmp and /usr/tmp, putting them together allows both free spaces to be
"combined".

2 cents. Ok, maybe 1/2.

Ed Hoeffner
1-271 BSBE