On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 06:06:42PM -0500, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> 	one of my main gripes with SuSE is the amount of crap they put under
> /opt...

And a source of pride for the suse followers. Gee KDE in /opt is so COOL :)

There is a guy on linuxplanet that never, ever forgets to mention this
"feature" of suse.

>         so if you want to keep your / partition small, you end up having to
> either install less stuff at first, get to a shell and symlink /opt to
> /usr/opt, then install the rest; or just make a separate /opt partition and
> deal with repartitioning space later.
> 	in short; /opt is system applications and files, so they ought to go
> somewhere under /usr like the rest of the system files.

well... otoh if I put it in /usr/local, it gets my environment variables so
much longer :)

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4