> That would make more sense then.  I thought for sure that years ago I read
> /usr shoud be on / but my memory does seem to fail me.  I never understood
> why and onetime I installed without it and everything worked fine.
	in theory, you should be able to mount a shared /usr partition via
NFS; saving disk space and admin hassles. as such, you need to be able to
boot without it, in case of emergency.

> I have to say that directories have always been the most confusing aspect
> to a linux install for me.  When I was really new I never understood why
> some things were here and others were there.  Then to make things worse if
> you switch dists everything changed.  i.e. Patrick has always said that
> /opt is the standard place for optional software but everyone else seems
> to use /usr/local.
	If you think Linux is confusing, take a look at Irix or some of the
other commercial unices. most Linux distributions clear up a *lot* of
filesystem cruft like /opt, /usr/ucb, /usr/tmp, /usr/local, and more.
	InMyNotSoHumbleOpinion, /opt is a heinous hangover from the
commercial unices. I fail to see why it should be separate from the rest of
the system software, which is under /usr. if it's 'optional' software that
isn't part of the regular distro, why isn't it in /usr/local? or if not
there, then why not mixed in with the rest of the stuff in /usr/bin,
/usr/sbin, /usr/X11/bin? at least put it under /usr/opt, so it's not taking
up space unexpectedly on the / filesystem!
	one of my main gripes with SuSE is the amount of crap they put under
/opt... so if you want to keep your / partition small, you end up having to
either install less stuff at first, get to a shell and symlink /opt to
/usr/opt, then install the rest; or just make a separate /opt partition and
deal with repartitioning space later.
	in short; /opt is system applications and files, so they ought to go
somewhere under /usr like the rest of the system files.

> I don't know what I would do without find :-)
	locate is your friend. :)

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer