Just noticed this thread.

The editor I use for Java and everything else is Visual Slick edit
(www.slickedit.com).  They support twelve platforms
http://www.slickedit.com/purchase/pu_systemreq.php.  Linux is of course one
of them.

When I was at JavaOne a few years ago a guy from IBM showed it to me -- I
went straight out and bought it.

It's so feature rich its amazing.  Its a "get out of my way" kind of editor.

The features I use (mind you, these are not the coolest features, just the
ones I use daily)

*****Find and Replace******

-- supports three styles of regular expressions with back references and
everything

-- has a "preserve case" option so if you want to replace many occurrences
of 'session' with 'entity', but 'session' occurs in both class names as
"SessionBean" and in variables as "sessionBean".  You simply find 'session'
and replace with 'entity', check the "preserve case" option and where
'session' is capitalized 'entity' will replace it using the same
capitalization format.

-- You can find and replace on multiple files at the same time.  Equivalent
to:
find ./ -name "*.java" -exec perl -pie 's/oldString/newString/g' {} \;

*****Editing*****

--Has tab completion!!!! This works for any file, including your own, that
has been added to Visual SlickEdit.  Right of the bat it asks you to show it
where the JDK source is, it then parses all the files and can now provide
you API help as you type (can be disabled) and tab completion in method
names, constructors, and variables accessible from your class.  As
mentioned, this works exactly the same with your own java files.

--Click on a method, variable, or class and say "Go to Definition" and it
will bring you to the source code of the class where it was defined.

--Supports Block Selecting, i.e. selecting code by the column and row rather
than line by line.

--Has an enumerate function.  Select a part of you document that you wish to
sequentially fill with numbers, tell it what number to start with, whether
or not to pad the number, what to increment by, and it will fill the
selection with your series of numbers.

--A Beatify Source function, customizable.

--A Sort function, really useful for sorting import statements.

--Spell checker, spell check your selection, strings only, comments only,
etc.

--JavaDoc editor with preview, etc.

--An excellent diff/merge tool.

--You pick the editor style you like, CUA, vi, GNU emacs, etc.  You can
change it anytime you like.

--Supports a ton of languages; Bourne Shell, C, C Shell, HTML, IDL, Intel
Assembly, Java, JavaScript, Pascal, Perl, PHP, etc.  You can even add
languages and define its key words, color coding, comment style, etc.

*****Customizing******

--Supports aliases for code you type all the time.  For example, if you are
sick of typing "System.out.println();", you could give that code an alias
like 'sout'. Then when you type 'sout' and hit the space bar,
'System.out.println();' appears in place of 'sout'.

--Aliases can also use variables and prompt for parameters.  For example,
the code for iterating through an array in the standard 'i++' fashion is
identical, except for the name of the array.  So, I created an alias 'fori'
that takes the array variable name as a parameter.  When I type 'fori' and
hit CTRL+SPACE, it asks me for the array name, then I get:
   for (int i=0; i < myArray.length; i++){
      myArray[i]
   }

-- Anything that can be executed at the command line can be added as a menu
item.  I use this to execute Ant (an building tool like make) from within
SlickEdit.

The more you use it the more you think of great ways to use the features to
save you time and make easy things automatic.  Before SlickEdit I used
VisualCafe, I'm never going back.

You can download it for a demo at their website.

Happy coding!

David Blevins
---
OpenEJB - EJB Container System