I'm an employee of OTI (Object Technology International), the little company
inside IBM responsible for VAJ. I'm pleased to report that good things are on
the horizon. :)

I don't know if anyone here keeps up with OOPSLA, but last week we (OTI) gave
a demo of our current project - a development framework called Eclipse. The
Eclipse framework and a set of plugins will be released to the public in the
near future - free and open source. One of the plugins included in Eclipse is
our latest Java IDE. Eclipse is currently available for both Windows and
Linux.

I do Java development in Eclipse running on Linux everyday (we develop
Eclipse in Eclipse). The IDE is very nice and we're doing our best to stay up
to date with new versions of the JDK. We currently support up to 1.3 and I
started work on our 1.4 debug support a few days ago.

For more information on Eclipse, feel free to check out
www.eclipsecorner.org. Many areas of the site (the newsgroup and download
area, unfortunately) currently require a password (which can be obtained
through IBM if you or your company is really interested in Eclipse), but that
will be changing.

- Jared