sorry, but that is incorrect (for linux at least)

the vncserver script starts another Xserver by running
Xvnc, (kindof like Xnest) and the vncviewer connects
to to that server,

so if you already have X running at :0 then Xvnc would
run at :1. and the vncviewer can only connect to :1.

Your theory is correct on the MS side of things, since
they only have one desktop(poor guys, how do they get
stuff done?) the vncviewer takes control of that
desktop.

 -munir

=====