> On this topic, I have 2 Pentium (100 & 133Mhz) systems collecting dust at my
> house.  However, since I now have a cable modem at home I would like to
> revive at least one to use as an anonymous FTP server with a login.   With
> only minimum traffic would this machine suffice?  I would be running it with
> a 10gig HD, 133Mhz chip, 256Mb RAM, 3Com 905* NIC.

copper.redchrome.org is a 486/25SX with 12MB RAM and 200MB of disk. :) an
SCP connection to it'll saturate my 128K ISDN line, and it's not sluggish
over 10base-T here at the office. I suspect it'll serve up data as fast as
anyone is likely to suck off it. :)
it's a bit slow to get the ssh connection to at first; but still peppier
than some of the SPARC 10s here.
I will say that when I was running OpenBSD on it, it took a notable amount
of time to hash the blowfish'ed passwords (at login). ;>

let's not lose sight of what we used to be able to do with hardware a couple
of years ago. :)

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer