Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net> wrote:

> Figured it out.  Seems that there's a bug in the 2.4.10 nfs server that
> created bad symlinks.  Something like instead of linking to the file, it
> linked to the actual data, so ls would give me foo -> #include <stdio.h>
> Really nasty.  I put everything local, recompiled and rebooted and I'm
> all good now.

Yeah, there has been more flux in the 2.4 series than I like to see.
Linus should really fork off the development kernel (they're probably
waiting 'til around the 25th, for one reason or another (XP XP XP XP))

I'm now avoiding compiling kernels myself, mostly because I don't like
dealing with configuring it anymore.  The number of options just goes
beyond what I need to care about.

Something of note in the recent 2.4 kernels.  I've noticed (on Debian, at
least) that (U)DMA drives aren't running in DMA mode by default anymore.
This results in severely degraded performance (IDE sucks! ;-).  You'll
have to manually fix this with the `hdparm' utility.

Before doing any of the below, run `hdparm -i /dev/hdX', which will give
you some information about the IDE device (what modes it supports, etc).

I'd recommmend at least running `hdparm -d1 /dev/hdX' on your hard drives.
 If your drive and controller can handle UDMA33, also run `hdparm -X66
/dev/hdX'  For UDMA66, run `hdparm -X68 /dev/hdX'.  More information is on
hdparm's man page.  If you don't understand it, it's probably best not to
play around with the program as it can make your system unstable in
certain situations.

And one last note:  I noticed a significant reduction in memory usage when
I went to the 2.4.10 kernel.  Is this just my imagination?  I'm kind of
suspecting it had something to do with my AGP controller (AMD 761) finally
being supported..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Lead me not into
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   temptation, I can find