I just got a couple of personal flame emails for my, I'm quoting here from one
such email,

	"... lack of concern that the mailing list server is down ..."

Since the list server is down, I know this will come out after the fact, but I
think I need to post here to explain, in public, my stance on why it has taken
so long to fix the mailing list.

First, like many linux or open source things, I volunteer my time. Maintaining
the list server for the lug is something I want to do. It's something I like to
do, but it's not my job. It doesn't pay the bills. Please think of these things
before you flame me for the list server being offline.

Second, Real Time donated (as in free beer) the list server to be used for the
lug. Real Time also donates the connectivity, the monitor, the switch port, the
power, blah, blah, etc, to keep the list server online. Telling me I don't care
are the lug is just plain wrong.

Third, the drive replacement is going out of Real Time's bottom line. Yes, Real
Time took a drive from it's replacement stock and gave it to the lug. Which
means, in the end Real Time will have to purchase a new drive to put on the
shelf to replace the one donated. So there cold hard cash involved to get the
list server operational. Please think of these things before you send me email
calling me a "... cheap bastard ..."

I normally let these things slide by. Getting hate mail is part of being an
admin. Mostly it's from people who have never been a admin for a large number of
users and do not appreciate the work involved in running a network. Like Clay
says, you are either invisible or in trouble.

I know I'm in trouble :-), but like all good admins, you -know- when you are in
trouble, you don't need everyone else telling you about it.

I'll step off my soap box now...

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>         | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org, Minnesota, Linux | Fax   : (952)943-8500